What to do with Your Student Discount in Cork
Student life is known for being a bit of a financial challenge. Not only do you have to pay for food and essentials like toilet roll, but you also have to have enough money to go out and socialise with friends. Some students think that you have to sacrifice things in order to get by (like living on a diet of instant noodles so that you can afford each night out), but that’s not the case.
If you’re going to college in Cork and you’re wondering how on Earth you’re supposed to feed and entertain yourself this weekend and have enough money to go to Havana Brown’s student night on Monday, then look no further, because your favourite Cork-based businesses and high-street chains have got yo’ back.
That’s right: you don’t have to sacrifice those creature comforts; you’ve got a powerful little card in your pocket that knocks money off the cost of things… and this is how you can use it.
Opera Lane is the place to go to if you want to find your favourite high-street fashion retailers. So if you’re looking to kit out your student wardrobe, you’ll want to head here and take advantage of their student discounts while they last.
- Topshop and Topman: 10% all year round
- New Look: 10% all year round
- GAP: 10% all year round
- OFFICE: 10% all year round
- VILA: 10% all year round
- H&M: 20% off during special student events
- River Island: 20% off during special student events
Mahon Point is another retail destination in Cork, with plenty of shops covering everything from fashion to health.
- Accessorize: 10% all year round
- Best Menswear: 10% all year round
- Home Focus at Hickeys: 10% all year round
- Skechers: 10% all year round
FOOD AND DRINK
When you’re feeling a bit peckish, remember to stay away from those nasty instant noodles, because there are a couple of places in Cork that offer discount to students.
- Captain Americas Cookhouse and Bar: This popular student spot holds its cards close to its chest when it comes to the famous student discount, but all you have to do is give them a call, tell them your party size, and they will let you know what they can offer you. If big burgers and even bigger beers are your thing, you’re going to want to check out the deals here.
- The Bagel Bar: If you’re looking to enjoy a coffee or a lighter snack at a discounted price, you should check out The Bagel Bar. They offer 10% off to all students on all full-priced items, meaning you can try a delicious bagel, salad, or sandwich at a student-friendly price.
- McDonald’s (Mahon Point): If you happen to be shopping in Mahon Point and you fancy some fast food, showing your student card can land you a €5 extra-value meal on Big Macs, McNuggets (six of them 😎), and McChicken Sandwiches.
Whether it’s getting from A to B, or you just want to explore the rest of Ireland, there are some great discounts available to students in the Cork region.
- Bus Éireann: If you’re heading home to see your family or you just fancy seeing a bit of Ireland, Bus Éireann offers a 20% student discount on already cheap fares, making those home visits that little bit easier on the wallet/purse.
- Irish Rail: If you want to get from A to B a little bit faster than you would on the bus, you can always opt for the train, where Irish Rail offers great discounts on travel for students, with fares between Dublin and Cork costing €16.19.
STAY ON TOP OF THE STUDENT MONEY-SAVING TRENDS
Whether you’re looking for the best student travel deal or you just want to know how to cut down on your everyday spending, our blog is packed with advice for students in Ireland. Plus, we’ve got some pretty good accommodation too.